I have to admit, I have Olympic fever. Even though I already know most of the results (appreciate that, internet), I still find myself glued to my television most nights, pleading with a 4’7″ gymnast to end all those flips with better landings. So in the spirit of the games, I’ve decided to plan an Olympic style weekend for you, minus all the tight clothing of course.
What to do: A list would probably make things easier:
1. Go to a public pool with a friend and give synchronized diving your best shot. This could also transition into synchronized cannon-balling, synchronized belly-flopping, or a variety of other fun tricks that the other public pool patrons are sure to enjoy.
2. Find a beach and play volleyball. And if you want to do it right, you’ll play in jeans like Maverick in Goose.
3. Jump in a pool and try the butterfly stroke. I promise you’ll have a new appreciation for Michael Phelps and his Subway sandwiches.
4. Play a heated match of ping pong.
5. Organize a game of badminton in your backyard and then throw the match, just for fun.
What to watch: THE OLYMPICS. If you can help it, stay off of the internet for a while to avoid hearing the results beforehand. Also, close your eyes and ears during commercials when you’re watching NBC, they tend to promote interviews for the next day and spoil the results for the rest of us.
What to drink: Check out these Olympic inspired cocktails courtesy of Capitol City Brewing Company
- Olympic Rings Martini: Stolichnaya vanilla vodka, Malibu coconut rum, splash of OJ, shaken, strained and served in a chilled martini glass, garnished with Olympic Rings (Lifesaver candies)
- London Games Martini: Beefeater Gin, dash of orange bitters, splash of grenadine, shaken, strained and served in a chilled martini glass, garnished with a maraschino cherries.
- The Gold Medalist: Goldschläger gold flake cinnamon schnapps, pineapple juice and Apple Puckers shaken and served in a chilled martini glass, garnished with a fruit flag.
- The Olympic Dream: Galliano, orange juice, triple sec and whipped cream shaken and served in a chilled martini glass, garnished with a sprinkle of nutmeg.